St Mary’s, Shepperdine is one of the few remaining examples of a ‘tin tabernacle’ still in regular use and is situated on the of the banks of the River Severn.

These prefabricated places of worship appeared in the mid-nineteenth century. Fashioned out of corrugated galvanised iron they were quick to construct and erect and were also very portable.

St Mary’s was purchased in March 1914 from its former parish, believed to be in Wales. It was transferred from the parish of Rockhampton to that of Oldbury in February 1956. It was designated as a Grade 2 Listed Building in July 2016.

The church is always open as a place of pilgrimage.